Today at work, I started writing out that today was Friday. Wow, I’m really getting ahead of myself. What a bummer to think that a Monday is a Friday!
I didn’t do much this past weekend. I had to finally take advantage of the quiet in my apartment building.
So I’ll recap last weekend instead!
2. I went to Linda’s 30th birthday party. (Linda’s in the middle.) Linda is always so happy and her spirit is infectious. Her party theme was BALLS. Kind of like….oh balls, I’m turning 30. It was so fun. All the food was ball themed. I went the easy route & just brought cherries & grapes…and also peanut M&M’s and lemon drops.
My fellow Julie, me, and Amy
3. On Sunday night, I went over to Mary Helen’s for burger party. Her nephew is in town, so she invited everyone over. This picture was an afterthought. I was too busy chowing down…nom nom nom.
4. I binged watched Orange is the New Black last weekend on Netflix. After 4 people on my Twitter feed were raving about it, I knew that I had to watch. I immediately started reading the book once I finished season 1. I’d actually bought the book a few years ago and hadn’t read it. I’m almost done already!
5. A few weeks ago, I bought these notebooks (Target impulse buy). I wanted to start a personal journal. I remember after my grandma passed away finding some notebooks of hers. It wasn’t deep thoughts…it was more like, went for a walk today. But I was still fascinated. Although mundane details, it was compelling to me. So, I’ve started my own journaling. Maybe I’ll stick with it for years (hopefully) and maybe not. But in the hopes that I will…I returned to Target to buy out the remaining notebooks. My journals have to match!
Okay, I’m off to
watch the season finale of RHOC….er I mean to write in my journal.
I was minding my own business recently. I’d just enjoyed a Chai Latte at Austin Java and was walking around downtown Austin. I suddenly stopped. “Buy one, get one 50% off accessories.” I was an immediate goner as soon as I walked into Francesca’s. I loved all of the pretty spring colors.
My loot that I got:
Seagreen/blue clutch with gold zipper detail
Light Seafoam oval bracelet
Pastel scarf — I like it when the store has already tied the scarf since I’m so bad at that. I need to watch some YouTube tutorials on scarf tying.
After my jewelry binge, I headed over to Ulta & Sephora.
I was looking for a new pastel nail polish to go with my other purchases. When I saw that this light purple shade was called “Julie“, it was a no-brainer.
I also got some Tarte Maracuja-C Brightener eye cream. I used to get enough eye creams in my Birchboxes that I was set, but I cancelled my subscription in December.
Have you made any fun purchases recently??
1. It may not look like much, but enjoying simple dinners of stir-fried veggies and chicken lately.
3. I’m quite sure that my new t-shirt helped to free Bates recently.
4. I recently checked out the Texas Natural Science Center on the UT campus. It’s not terribly big, but pretty solid for a museum on a college campus.
2. I’m attempting to find my New Year’s Resolution mojo. Much like a million other people, I desperately need to start eating better and working out more. So far, I’m eating better…still working on the latter.
Instead of working out yesterday, I got an hour massage. Ha! That’s still treating my body good though, right?!
I did buy some new sneakers though! I promise that I’ll break them in this week.
I also went to Whole Foods this week and dropped a pretty penny on groceries. My theory is that if I load up on fruits & veggies, etc AND spent more on them than usual….I will actually eat them.
And instead of having popcorn & a bottle of red wine (a la Olivia from Scandal), I had sugar free hot chocolate instead. Popcorn & hot chocolate is a yummy snack!
I’ve been searching for eons for new bedding. I finally found this quilt on Overstock.com and love it!! It’s an oversized queen, so it’s long enough to fully cover the sides of my beds. No more of the mess under my bed peaking through! Of course, my new quilt doesn’t match my curtains or artwork on the wall…so that just means a bedroom makeover in 2013!
I’m off to watch the Golden Globes now!!
New books to read!
Chili supper with family last night
Loving this seasonal ale!
Weekend poker game…I came in 2nd! (Yes, those are Smirnoff Ice playing cards…random!)
I recently started watching Sherlock via Netflix. I’m on season 2 and am in loooooooove with Dr. Watson.
Last night, I was reading Entertainment Weekly and there was a blurb about The Hobbit. I stared at the picture for a solid 30 seconds. Wait what?! Dr. Watson is The Hobbit!? The Hobbit is Dr. Watson?! Worlds colliding…p.s. I’m weird.
I’m not sure if my observation skills were severely lacking or if it’s a sign that Freeman is a good actor. I’m going with the latter.
Pumpkin Carving Party at Mary’s. I didn’t carve this pumpkin, but was so impressed by it!
On Saturday morning, I went to a clothing swap party. There was a lot more loot to go through than just in this picture.
In addition to some clothes, I also brought Mimomas & muffins!
The best part of a party from 10 am – 2 pm is that you can start with cinnamon rolls & then advance on to cheese straws and hummus!
Someone also brought kolaches! I’ve had sweet kolaches before, but this was my 1st savory kolache with cheese, peppers, and sausage. So good!!
In addition to the clothing swap, it was also a Stella & Dot party!
I got these jade earrings pictured and 2 necklaces. But at least my clothing swap items were free!
I got 2 tank tops, 2 shirts, and a cute black Express skirt that I love.
Saturday night Halloween party at Jessica’s. I was a black cat. Meow!
Eyeball apps!! Mozzarella and olives for the eyes drowning in marinara sauce for the blood.
Blinged out trophies for the costume contest winners.
This evening, I went over to my aunt & uncle’s for dinner for my cousin-in-law’s birthday. My aunt sure knows how to pour a generous glass of wine!!
Chili & corn bread muffins…perfect Sunday night fall food!
Strawberry cake with strawberry icing & strawberry ice cream, my fave!
Happy Birthday, Cary!
My thoughts exactly!
Ice cream at Lick.
My favorite fall breakfast: brown sugar & cinnamon oatmeal with pumpkin & peanut butter mixed in. Served in my spider web Halloween bowl.
There’s always time for wafflewichs on the weekends.
There’s always time for napping and puppy snuggling on the weekends too.
Finished reading The Soldier’s Wife this weekend. Review to come soon.
Dark nails in the fall are a necessity.
1. It’s been raining here in Austin. I know we need the rain. Be grateful for it. But my apartment complex decided to dump a bunch of sand in the parking lot right before the rain. To help soak up the oil spotches from cars, I guess?? Cut to this sand + rain + oil creating a slippery mess in the parking lot! Cut to Julie eating it in the parking lot & falling…hands full of grocery bags. UGH! At least no one saw me. Someone witnessing your fall is way worse than actually falling.
2. My new favorite smoothie….Banana Biscoff Smoothie.
3. My new favorite breakfast…Runny eggs over asparagus.
4. My new favorite ready-to-drink cocktail….Skinnygirl’s White Cranberry Cosmo. SO GOOD!!
5. Are you watching Girls on HBO?
This show seems to rile people up. People hate it….or love it….or love to dissect it. It’s a hot button issue for some reason. I happen to LOVE the show. I relate to it….or rather my earlier 20 year old self related to it. It’s awkward and real. I went through some of those experiences, self-deprecating thoughts and emotions. The show literally makes me cringe as I’m transported back in time. I love the show though because I know that I come out on the other side stronger and wiser!
Okay, I’m done.
1. I finally got on the Downton Abbey bandwagon this week! Please tell me that Mr. Bates and Anna get married!! When will MY Mr. Bates come into my life?! I may throw a temper tantrum if Season 2 Disc 1 isn’t in my mailbox tomorrow.
2. I’ve been dreaming of Trader Joe’s horseradish pub cheese since I had it at my friend, Sarah’s, in Charlotte. Sadly, there is no TJ’s in Austin (until next year!) But I did find Pub Cheese at Super Target this week!! Hot Buffalo Wing flavored pretzels dipped in pub cheese…DO IT!
3. After reading so many positive things about the Clarisonic, I bought one myself. I’ve always had bad skin, which at 33 years old is utterly unfair. Clarisonic, bring me a skin miracle!
4. I went to JCP this week to buy my Mom a Mother’s Day present. Annnnd, I bought myself this ring and 2 pairs of sunglasses. Loving the ring!
Don’t worry…I got Mom a present too.
5. I gave Haley a bath yesterday. Ha! Obviously, you can tell that she just looooooves baths. Hehehe. She will turn ignore me for the next 48 hours to punish me for her bath torture.
Have a great Cinco de Mayo / Kentucky Derby Day!
My March trip to Austin via pictures.
The view during dinner at the River Pub in San Marcos, TX.
The crazy good Prince cocktail at Feast restaurant in San Antonio. Gin & tonic, sweet & serrano peppers, & cilantro.
What a creepy beer bottle label!!! Dinner at The Monterey in San Antonio.
My aunt & uncle had the inside track on a hole-in-the-wall burger joint inside the Buda Grocery & Grill. The food was great! The service was another story.
After Lunch in Buda, we did some shopping along Main Street. I’m still in love with this ring that I got at Buda’s Red Door.
My Dad asked me if I was going to get a pair of cowboy boots now that I live in Texas. Maybe I will!
We also went to Gruene, TX for some shopping and wine tasting. I got a bottle of Blueberry Shiraz and Seville Orange Sangria from the Winery on the Gruene.
I was amazed by these HUGE wind chimes in Gruene too.
Happy Saturday! I hope your day is filled with blue skies!!